Go Back   Trillian Discussion Forums > Trillian Development > Bug Reports

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Registered Mar 2003
76 Posts
Old 15 Jun 2007, 06:10 AM
Thumbs down Ask toolbar installed without my permission?
I got ask toolbar installed on my PC, but I certainly didn't install it. On looking for information on it I found websites where other people have said ask toolbar was installed by trillian without permission. My reinstalling trillian to fix issues with it does coincide with about the time ask toolbar appeared.

Theres alot of issues involved with ask toolbar, I know you guys could use money since you provide this product for free, but really now.
Astra Sound Pack Developer
Registered Oct 2002
Located at FL
2,394 Posts
Old 15 Jun 2007, 08:38 AM
Without permission? It asks you to install it when installing Trillian. I guess people just click 'next' really fast.
Official Admin
American
Registered Jan 2002
Located at Section M5 Row 1
2,079 Posts
Old 15 Jun 2007, 10:49 AM
I bought Nero 7 (I think it was originally US$79.99 but I paid $49.99 for the upgrade) and it wanted to install the Ask toobar too. Similar to the Trillian install, you have to uncheck a box and say "no" or something, but it is a two-step process.

Did I mention that I paid for Nero and it still wanted to install the Ask toolbar?

Official Admin
Cerulean Studios Developer
Registered Dec 2000
Located at Connecticut
870 Posts
Old 15 Jun 2007, 11:19 AM
The installer actually does ask for your permission to install the Ask toolbar. Our April 27th blog entry contains more information about these bundling decisions. If you are worried that the Ask toolbar is unfavorable software then consider the claims from the Ask toolbar faq and how they compare to toolbars offered by other companies:

* The toolbar software DOES NOT collect personal information of any kind, period. No email address, registration or other information is required to use the product. No zip code, no email, no member name, no password. Unlike many other products, we do not even attempt to collect data upon startup as a requirement of use.
* The toolbar software DOES NOT monitor the websites visited by the end user, collect or in any manner report any information about what sites an end users visits (or any clickstream activity), nor does it monitor or scrape information when you are on other sites.
* The toolbar software DOES NOT serve or facilitate so-called "contextual advertising" or pop-up ads. Many applications are identified as spyware because they monitor end-user Internet usage and serve contextual pop-ups. The Ask Toolbar does not engage in any such practices.
Registered Jul 2007
1 Posts
Old 10 Jul 2007, 09:36 AM
Unhappy Ask toolbar does have a bug that shuts down IE7
After my install ask toolbar I noticed that going to certain sites in IE7 causes the webbrowser to shut down. Since there is not an uninstall for ask toolbar, I went to ProgramFile>accessories>systemtools and choose to run IE without add-ons. Boom my problem was fixed. Therefore it is my thought that AskToolBar does collect information regarding webbrowsing but only for certain sites (their customers). I think it is a problem with IE7 because MS has put safegaurds into its browser to prevent this type of unwanted spying behavior. Anyone know how to uninstall AskToolbar?
Official Admin
Cerulean Studios Developer
Registered Dec 2000
Located at Connecticut
870 Posts
Old 10 Jul 2007, 09:53 AM
The uninstaller is properly located in Add/Remove programs: http://dl.ask.com/toolbar/faq.html#na3
Registered Aug 2006
Located at Isle of Man
78 Posts
Old 14 Jul 2007, 08:26 AM
Latest Trillian build full of gunk?
I just had to re-install Trillian on my wife's pc as the Astra beta mucked up her old one. Installing a fresh Trillian build today, I was surprised to see all the advertising gunk that I had to click "no" to. Toolbar city! Dell, eat your heart out!
I am Ninja!
Registered Aug 2005
Located at Tampa, FL, USA!
1,908 Posts
Old 14 Jul 2007, 11:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuity View Post
I just had to re-install Trillian on my wife's pc as the Astra beta mucked up her old one. Installing a fresh Trillian build today, I was surprised to see all the advertising gunk that I had to click "no" to. Toolbar city! Dell, eat your heart out!
I guess business is business... Read this message about the optional toolbar.
Registered Mar 2006
13 Posts
Old 14 Jul 2007, 11:09 AM
I too was a little miffed about that. Not least after having just paid for an extended subscription to Pro.

I've downloaded and paid for the software, and do not appreciate a miscellany of random crap latching on to the applications successes, or more precisely, my machine.

Cull the crap, I say.
Registered Aug 2006
Located at Isle of Man
78 Posts
Old 14 Jul 2007, 11:14 AM
I agree, possibly offer the crap after the user has chosen the free option, but not push it onto people who have paid.
Registered Feb 2004
423 Posts
Old 14 Jul 2007, 11:26 AM
Ugh, this kind of attitude bothers me.

You buy a $2000 dell system, and still get adware.

Heck, you buy $200 shoes, just so they can slap a big ad right on the side of them.

Pay $50 for a ticket to a football game, and get to sit threw one non-stop booze, boobs and cars advertisement orgy of consumerism during which you might get to see a good tackle or two.

Paying for something doesn't exclude you from advertising, it doesn't anywhere else, why expect it here? Especially EASILY turned down advertisements that you don't even have to install at all and can easily click no to, but help out the small time company.
I'm not a Microsoft fan boy...really I'm not!
Registered Mar 2006
13 Posts
Old 14 Jul 2007, 11:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadlonelygeek View Post
Ugh, this kind of attitude bothers me.
The 'I want what I paid for' attitude?

Seems pretty standard to me.
Official Admin
American
Registered Jan 2002
Located at Section M5 Row 1
2,079 Posts
Old 14 Jul 2007, 11:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Rawlins View Post
The 'I want what I paid for' attitude?

Seems pretty standard to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameoba View Post
I bought Nero 7 (I think it was originally US$79.99 but I paid $49.99 for the upgrade) and it wanted to install the Ask toobar too. Similar to the Trillian install, you have to uncheck a box and say "no" or something, but it is a two-step process.

Did I mention that I paid for Nero and it still wanted to install the Ask toolbar?
Since I merged this thread with an existing thread on the same topic, I thought I'd restate this in reply to your post.

I love flying!!!
Registered Dec 2001
Located at in tourbiland, enjoying welcome friends
9,152 Posts
Old 14 Jul 2007, 12:20 PM
I had 2 hard drive crashes in the last few weeks. I got to redo things, not 2 times but 4 times. I got to learn things over and over.
I have installed more programs in the last 2 weeks than the last 2 years. I have learned, over and over, to take my time, watch what I am saying yes to and what to say no to.
I am responsible for my computer (and the other I got to rework).
Trillian is responsible for staying in business so they can take care of their families, their employees and meet the needs of friends and customers.
When we each assume the responsibilities we each have, we do well together, when we start blaming each other, things get difficult.
I don't see Trillian blaming us for not buying enough, for not bringing more customers to them. I see them assuming responsibility for their end.
Now we get to be responsible for what we click and don't click.
They are not imposing these things upon us or our computers. I have not installed some things that give me absolutely no choice. Trillian has given us choice and is letting us be responsible for what we want and what we click.
I'm glad they are still in business, finding solutions and giving us choices.
ड़ारा
Registered Feb 2002
14 Posts
Old 01 Nov 2007, 08:25 AM
Medium Yahoo® Related Bs !
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm View Post
The installer actually does ask for your permission to install the Ask toolbar. Our April 27th blog entry contains more information about these bundling decisions. If you are worried that the Ask toolbar is unfavorable software then consider the claims from the Ask toolbar faq and how they compare to toolbars offered by other companies:

*** I *** just installed and DID take out the check marks, and STILL the toolbar was downloaded!!!

My Antivirus software saw it and offered to allow me to delete or quarentine, which I did immediately!

If I say NO to something... IT MEANS NO !!! I don't care if it was just downloading the file "just in case" I don't want it, I don't want components laying about that *COULD* be used at some later time without my permission (someone else getting on my pc and not knowing I didn't want it active, etc.)

granted this is the first time I can clearly FAULT the program and Cerulean ... aside from usability gripes ... but its really the LAST thing I expected!
-Trebor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: