Go Back   Trillian Discussion Forums > General Discussions > Trillian for Windows

Registered Feb 2011
2 Posts
Old 03 Feb 2011, 04:16 AM
Confused about video chat capabilities
Sorry, but I'm still a bit confused about version 5 (or even 4.2) and video chatting. The Trillian web site claims:

"Video and audio calls are directly integrated into Trillian over the Trillian Astra network, not pushed into a third-party web browser solution. Trillian Astra currently utilizes H.263 compression for your video streams. While it will look great with a fast internet connection, Trillian will also intelligently optimize the video stream for a slower connection."

And yet, I still cannot seem to find a way to have a video chat with anyone (via Trillian). As an example, I have a friend on Google Talk/Video... my Trillian accounts include Google Talk... ergo, shouldn't I be able to video chat?

A few of the threads seem to suggest that Trillian is spotty about AV capabilities. Is there a specific "specifications" document that users of Trillian could see which delineates the applications specific capabilities?

Thanks,

Michael
Official Moderator
some skinning here and there
Registered Jul 2007
Located at Saarbrücken, Germany
1,844 Posts
Old 03 Feb 2011, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobiMichael View Post
Sorry, but I'm still a bit confused about version 5 (or even 4.2) and video chatting. The Trillian web site claims:

"Video and audio calls are directly integrated into Trillian over the Trillian Astra network, not pushed into a third-party web browser solution. Trillian Astra currently utilizes H.263 compression for your video streams. While it will look great with a fast internet connection, Trillian will also intelligently optimize the video stream for a slower connection."

And yet, I still cannot seem to find a way to have a video chat with anyone (via Trillian). As an example, I have a friend on Google Talk/Video... my Trillian accounts include Google Talk... ergo, shouldn't I be able to video chat?

A few of the threads seem to suggest that Trillian is spotty about AV capabilities. Is there a specific "specifications" document that users of Trillian could see which delineates the applications specific capabilities?

Thanks,

Michael
Video and audio calls are directly integrated into Trillian over the Trillian Astra network, not pushed into a third-party web browser solution. ...."
.. not the google talk network...
Registered Feb 2011
2 Posts
Old 03 Feb 2011, 10:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream81 View Post
Video and audio calls are directly integrated into Trillian over the Trillian Astra network, not pushed into a third-party web browser solution. ...."
.. not the google talk network...
Scream81, thanks for the reply... but your answer doesn't really answer anything at all. Perhaps if you more fully answered the question... such as: HOW DO TWO PEOPLE HAVE A VIDEO CHAT via Trillian client???? Since when one starts the Trillian application, the Astra network is automatically signed-into by all parties... SO.... HOW DO 2 PEOPLE HAVE A VIDEO-CHAT?????

Thanks,

Michael
Official Moderator
some skinning here and there
Registered Jul 2007
Located at Saarbrücken, Germany
1,844 Posts
Old 03 Feb 2011, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by oobiMichael View Post
Scream81, thanks for the reply... but your answer doesn't really answer anything at all. Perhaps if you more fully answered the question... such as: HOW DO TWO PEOPLE HAVE A VIDEO CHAT via Trillian client???? Since when one starts the Trillian application, the Astra network is automatically signed-into by all parties... SO.... HOW DO 2 PEOPLE HAVE A VIDEO-CHAT?????

Thanks,

Michael
It explains all. It's just you assume that other networks are included in the astra network, which is not the case! Google talk is a connection and astra is a different connection. Lets say Astra protocol? other word same thing.
Video chat currently only available via the Astra protocol means that when you both chat with the Astra Protocol (Astra Name to Astra Name) then it's possible!!
Not from your google account to your friend google account to make that clear!!!

I know that it works in Trillian 4.2 (from ASTRA NAME to ASTRA NAME ), but Trillian 5, as well as the windows skin of Trillian 5 are in beta and the Videochat is not implementet in the skin I think.

To do it you have to click the Video Chat button in chatwindow, when talking to an Astra-Friend (not GoogleTalk-Friend). Your Friend need to accept your request and then you both should be able to chat, talk and see each other.
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
Located at Great White North
3,702 Posts
Old 03 Feb 2011, 04:03 PM
I don't think A/V for GoogleTalk is supported in Trillian atm.

You'll have to use Astra, WLM (which is broken), or yahoo.
Registered Feb 2011
14 Posts
Old 04 Feb 2011, 02:14 PM
i have the same problem can not figure it out how to make a video call???

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: