Go Back   Trillian Discussion Forums > General Discussions > Trillian for Windows

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Registered Feb 2011
57 Posts
Old 25 Jan 2012, 11:25 AM
skypekit.exe has stopped working
I have had issues with trillian and skype ever since the infamous patch that brought the skypekit.exe. I chose to downgrade to a previous version of trillian in order to be able to run skype and trillian at same time.

However... it has now become worse and worse with either skype not working or trillian not working or both becoming "locket" and I have to shut down the programs.

so I figured id give the latest version of trillian a shot... since all I do is chat anyways. Lo and behond...the infamous "skypekit.exe has stopped working" and so I search the forums for a solution and there is none.

Has the developers stopped developing or bugfixing trillian? cause if they have done that then I might as well try and find another bundled IM software than trillian.

or is there an easy solution to why the skypekit.exe is not working?

Let me know.
Registered Feb 2011
57 Posts
Old 25 Jan 2012, 11:27 AM
this is the error codes I get...

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: skypekit.exe
Application Version: 0.0.0.0
Application Timestamp: 4e556c31
Fault Module Name: skypekit.exe
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4e556c31
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 000f4709
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
Locale ID: 1053
Additional Information 1: 0b62
Additional Information 2: 0b6233d471bb115cbeec3c401dc7aadd
Additional Information 3: 6b79
Additional Information 4: 6b79cc2d53e44100cac8b50cb726021b
Supreme Trillian Overlord
Registered Jul 2004
Located at Lexington, KY
2,458 Posts
Old 25 Jan 2012, 02:31 PM
Skypekit is made by Skype, not Cerulean Studios. I don't think there's much 'bugfixing" CS can do to stop skypekit from crashing.

Since both Skype and SkypeKit are crashing I would start looking at your computer instead of solely at Trillian. Does the full Skype client run without issues (outside of Trillian)? Have you completely uninstalled and re-installed Trillian (along with deleting your Trillian profile directory)?
Registered Feb 2011
57 Posts
Old 25 Jan 2012, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.patton View Post
Skypekit is made by Skype, not Cerulean Studios. I don't think there's much 'bugfixing" CS can do to stop skypekit from crashing.

Since both Skype and SkypeKit are crashing I would start looking at your computer instead of solely at Trillian. Does the full Skype client run without issues (outside of Trillian)? Have you completely uninstalled and re-installed Trillian (along with deleting your Trillian profile directory)?
yes, skype runs perfectly when trillian is not used and trillian runs without skype.
Registered Feb 2011
57 Posts
Old 28 Jan 2012, 02:38 PM
Ok, i have to ask myself this... in the stuff about trillian is says it launces with an skype addond etc etc... but its not working, has not been properly working ever since they tried launching skypekit.exe.

its not skype who created this addon and with that said.

why is developers not doing anything about it? or remove it from the bundle so you can run skype together with trillian without crashes like before the updates.

even the old versions of trillian that did launch well with skype is crashing like mad now, probably because skype been updated and the developers for trillian discontinued developing for pre 5.0 trillian.
Registered Feb 2011
57 Posts
Old 28 Jan 2012, 02:39 PM
If I pay for an item, I expect to get propmt adjustment to the item if it faulters, if I knew trillian was a hobby project id never have paid for it.
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
Located at Great White North
3,702 Posts
Old 28 Jan 2012, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jotunhammer View Post
If I pay for an item, I expect to get propmt adjustment to the item if it faulters, if I knew trillian was a hobby project id never have paid for it.
Skypekit is not developed by the people who develop Trillian. If the problem is Skypekit, then there may not be much they can do.

There is still lots of information we (what i guess you could call the unofficial forum support) don't have. The issue could be something simple like having the wrong audio input source selected or an issue with tho one you HAVE select. j.patton asked you if you removed all your Trillian user settings and tried with a completely fresh install, you never replied to that.

And here's another question for you, have you put in an official support ticket?
agnostic-stigmata
Registered Feb 2008
Located at Grand Rapids, Michigan
2,550 Posts
Old 28 Jan 2012, 04:39 PM
Quote:
if I knew trillian was a hobby project id never have paid for it.

Trillian is not a hobby project.
If you have an issue with skypekit, you should take it up with microsoft (considering they now own skype). Trillian uses skypekit but does not develop it.
I am what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. I am agnostic-stigmata.
Registered Apr 2004
Located at Hamburg
333 Posts
Old 29 Jan 2012, 03:14 AM
Jotunhammer, did you pay for Trillian solely to use Skype? If so, it was a bad decision as Skype's own client would let you use Skype without problems. The Skype client also offers more features. Mind, this is not Cerulean Labs' fault, it's the limitations imposed upon all developers outside Skype by the good folks at Skype.

Several of us have had the problem with Skypekit not connecting at all, there's at least one thread about it in the forums: http://forums.ceruleanstudios.com/sh...d.php?t=104756 As you see I opened it. As you may also see, the problem isn't easy to pin down since there seems to be no [simple] common denominator - for me Skypekit, that is Skype within Trillian, has now been working again for months.
Registered Feb 2011
57 Posts
Old 30 Jan 2012, 01:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKong View Post
Skypekit is not developed by the people who develop Trillian. If the problem is Skypekit, then there may not be much they can do.

There is still lots of information we (what i guess you could call the unofficial forum support) don't have. The issue could be something simple like having the wrong audio input source selected or an issue with tho one you HAVE select. j.patton asked you if you removed all your Trillian user settings and tried with a completely fresh install, you never replied to that.

And here's another question for you, have you put in an official support ticket?
yes I did a complete removal of both trillian and skype, from the hard drive as well as the user settings etc in roaming. and I reinstalled everything with the latest software I could download. trillian starts ok, but when i try to get into the manage account and turn on skype it turn the "skypekit.exe has stopped working" after 5 seconds.

and yes i popped a ticket a while ago..
Registered Feb 2011
57 Posts
Old 30 Jan 2012, 01:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic-stigma View Post
Trillian is not a hobby project.
If you have an issue with skypekit, you should take it up with microsoft (considering they now own skype). Trillian uses skypekit but does not develop it.
funny thing about the skypekit.exe is that if I google it, the only replies I get from it has to do with trillian. there is no other replies that is relevant. even if I use keywords like "skypekite.exe download"
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
3,702 Posts
Old 30 Jan 2012, 03:55 PM
Quote:
funny thing about the skypekit.exe is that if I google it, the only replies I get from it has to do with trillian. there is no other replies that is relevant. even if I use keywords like "skypekite.exe download"
More and more from your replies I get the impression you think Trillian is all a scam and we're lying to you with every post. Set the paranoia and faulty reasoning aside and try to understand.

Downloading skypekit isn't really an option because it is useless to you unless you have a program to interface with it. It's not a regular download for the average person. Also, skypekit is more than just a single executable.

Remove ".exe download" from your search and you'll find more information, including pages about it's development and it's use right on the official Skype website.

Sometimes keeping things simple is the best way to go, especially when using a search engine.
Crusty Olde Dinosaur
Registered Nov 2004
Located at Rochester, Kent. UK
792 Posts
Old 30 Jan 2012, 03:58 PM
I just Googled "skypekit" and got over 78,000 results.
Absolutely nothing on the first page that mentions Trillian!

Top result came from Skype developers themselves -
http://developer.skype.com/public/skypekit

It is developed by the Skype team and has nothing to do with CS for "fixing" as it's not CS's software.
Intelligence means that sometimes the obvious flies over your head!
Registered Feb 2011
57 Posts
Old 30 Jan 2012, 04:05 PM
try googling skypekit.exe has stop working and then what is the top results?
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
3,702 Posts
Old 30 Jan 2012, 06:23 PM
Quote:
try googling skypekit.exe has stop working and then what is the top results?
Which would be the same as saying "my car has stopped working" I did say simple is best but you also need to be specific. Of course anything related to trillian and skypekit will more than likely take you here, because this is the Trillian forum.

There is only so much that we can do to help you on the forums. We are not official support, we are not being paid to help you. The answer to your problem could be one of many things.

Just because you can use one piece of software (skype) and not use another (skypekit working through Trillian) does not mean the issue is trillian. I'm not saying the issue isn't trillian, but skypekit is crashing for a reason.

You have said you have used different versions of Trillian, I assume 4 and 5 and now 5.1, doing a fresh install and removing all user preferences and settings may help. Also, completely removing your skype account from Trillian and re-adding it may help.

You never did answer my question about whether or not you put in a ticket to support. Probably the best thing to do since Google isn't being that helpful to you and we do not have all the answers here on the forums. Also especially since you say you've paid for a subscription license, why would you not put in a support ticket. They may be able to suggest or tell you to do something that has not been mention on the forums yet, you read but did not think to try, or you simply didn't see.

If it was a simple matter of skypekit not working, then everyone would have this issue, and that is not the case.

Here are some things to think about, and I suggest you reply with answers rather than continuing to say you can't find anything, or that we aren't giving you answers.

Skypekit crashes on startup?
Skypekit crashes when trying to connect to skype?
Skypekit crashes when attempting to initiate a voice call?
Skypekit crashes when attempting to end a voice call?
What microphone input source do you have selected in Trillian?
Audio drivers up to date?
DirectX up to date?
System permissions? (firewall, antivirus, etc)
Have you tried completely removing all Trillian settings (appdata) and doing a fresh clean installation of Trillian?
Have you tried removing your skype account from Trillian and re-adding it as a new connection?
Beep
Registered Apr 2007
1,083 Posts
Old 30 Jan 2012, 06:41 PM
Skype provides the SkypeKit API, not skypekit.exe. skypekit.exe is created by Cerulean and the responsibility for the crash may be theirs.
Take my Worf, please.
Registered Jul 2004
Located at Lexington, KY
2,458 Posts
Old 31 Jan 2012, 09:05 AM
SkypeKit is not just an API.

All the files related to Trillian that CS creates are digitally signed by them (you can check the file proerties). SkypeKit.exe is not signed by CS (or anyone for that matter).

That was my logic.

Edit:
Here's proof that skypekit.exe is created by Skype, NOT CS...

http://help.trillian.im/discussions/...pekitexe-error - Look at Pneumatic's (Don Petty) reply

http://help.trillian.im/discussions/...s-signaturemd5 - Again Pneu's reply
Last edited by j.patton; 31 Jan 2012 at 09:36 AM..
Beep
Registered Apr 2007
1,083 Posts
Old 31 Jan 2012, 03:16 PM
You're right. It looks like they provide unique binaries to developers, which is why searching for the hash of skypekit.exe provided by trillian only offers results for trillian.
Take my Worf, please.
Registered Feb 2011
57 Posts
Old 11 Feb 2012, 01:46 AM
I thought I said already, it is as soon as I start trillin or try to go into accounts and initiate the skype connection. Then it will give an error.

However, I have installed a new OS and before I installed anything I installed trillian latest version and tried to log in.

I get to the part where it is says connect and it seems to take a while but nothing happens, I can set the settings meaning password and username but nothing changes, there is no additional connection in my trillian window showing its connected to skype more than the blue square with the S.

and according to it, then I am connected however no-one I spoke with thats on my skype can see me online and I since there is no popup or anything I can not see them.

if I go in and start skypekit.exe it will say only that "skypekit.exe has stopped working" and this time no error codes or anything.

So let me the answer your questions...

Skypekit crashes on startup?
Yes
Skypekit crashes when trying to connect to skype?
Yes
Skypekit crashes when attempting to initiate a voice call?
Cant connect
Skypekit crashes when attempting to end a voice call?
Cant connect
What microphone input source do you have selected in Trillian?
Logitech G35
Audio drivers up to date?
yes
DirectX up to date?
yes
System permissions? (firewall, antivirus, etc)
yes
Have you tried completely removing all Trillian settings (appdata) and doing a fresh clean installation of Trillian?
yes, even did a full format of the harddrive and reinstalled windows..
Have you tried removing your skype account from Trillian and re-adding it as a new connection?
Yes
Registered Feb 2011
57 Posts
Old 11 Feb 2012, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.patton View Post
SkypeKit is not just an API.

All the files related to Trillian that CS creates are digitally signed by them (you can check the file proerties). SkypeKit.exe is not signed by CS (or anyone for that matter).

That was my logic.

Edit:
Here's proof that skypekit.exe is created by Skype, NOT CS...

http://help.trillian.im/discussions/...pekitexe-error - Look at Pneumatic's (Don Petty) reply

http://help.trillian.im/discussions/...s-signaturemd5 - Again Pneu's reply

I would ask that you do something for me... Go into your Trillian, get in under whats called addons and there find skype, does it not state the manufacturer of the addon? and it states clearly CS as the manufacturer....

Sure skypekit.exe might be originally made by the ppl with skype but its CS that modifies or whatever to it to fit with trillian.
Registered Jul 2004
Located at Lexington, KY
2,458 Posts
Old 11 Feb 2012, 02:12 PM
Actually....

CS does have a Skype plugin, which is completely seperate/different than SkypeKit.exe. All the plugin does is pass information to SkypeKit.exe which in turns does all the communication/interface with Skype (and then passess any information back to Trillian). They do not customize it in any way (or else it would have their digital signature in the file).
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
3,702 Posts
Old 11 Feb 2012, 06:58 PM
Quote:
So let me the answer your questions...
The more information the better. I understand the situation is frustrating and you cant' use the software, but there's only so much we hwere on the forums can do. So that brings me back to something else I had asked.

Have you put in an official support ticket yet? Have you given them all this information, as well as debug logs?
Registered Feb 2011
57 Posts
Old 13 Feb 2012, 08:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKong View Post
The more information the better. I understand the situation is frustrating and you cant' use the software, but there's only so much we hwere on the forums can do. So that brings me back to something else I had asked.

Have you put in an official support ticket yet? Have you given them all this information, as well as debug logs?
Yes actually i did, but no reply so I might start creating one per week now until I get a reply... I sent them copies and screen captures etc...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: