Go Back   Trillian Discussion Forums > General Discussions > Trillian for Windows

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Registered Sep 2010
3 Posts
Old 23 Sep 2010, 11:09 AM
How do I start a group Chat in Trillian 5 beta?
I'm not seeing any option to invite more than one person to a chat. Thanks for any help on this.

--James
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 23 Sep 2010, 02:25 PM
What medium are you trying to do this on?
Registered Sep 2010
3 Posts
Old 23 Sep 2010, 03:41 PM
Exclamation
i also discovered this just before a meeting today!

i cannot find how to join more than two people into a conversation. i am using pro 4.2.22 on a win7 box. thanks.
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 23 Sep 2010, 05:03 PM
Again, with what medium?

AIM, MSN, YAHOO, ICQ are examples of mediums...

So... what medium are you trying to do this on?
Registered Sep 2010
3 Posts
Old 23 Sep 2010, 05:22 PM
I'm just using the Trillian client. Do I need to be signed into another medium? There was no mention of that on the splash page for the features list.

--James
Registered Jul 2005
14 Posts
Old 23 Sep 2010, 05:35 PM
Trillian is just a program that allows you to use certain features services such as AIM, MSN, ICQ, YIM offer.

If you want to use specific features you will of course have to select a service (one that allows you to use the specific feature).

If you want to paint a picture you need colors (or a pen) (read a service) along side a sheet of paper on which to draw (read Trillian). Now if you want colored images you can't use a pencil but /have/ to use crayons.

You can't expect the sheet of paper to draw on itself. You need to interact with compatible services to achieve coloring.
Registered Sep 2010
3 Posts
Old 23 Sep 2010, 06:06 PM
I appreciate what you're saying, but Trillian does allow me to chat with other Trillian users, right? Why can't I create a group chat solely using Trillian? Especially, since on the Chat features description, this seems to be a selling point.

--James
Registered Sep 2010
3 Posts
Old 23 Sep 2010, 06:21 PM
Information
my bad, i didn't know what medium meant, i thought you meant platform.

i am using Trillian with AIM. older versions i was able to group-chat just by selecting my people and then initiating a group chat.
Registered Dec 2006
186 Posts
Old 23 Sep 2010, 08:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by copydoc View Post
my bad, i didn't know what medium meant, i thought you meant platform.

i am using Trillian with AIM. older versions i was able to group-chat just by selecting my people and then initiating a group chat.
AIM is one of the only mediums that you can initiate a group chat with in Trillian (The "Astra" medium does not support it yet).

To do this with AIM:
  • Click the AIM service icon on your contact list, and select join a chat.
  • Enter a name for the chat (optional)
  • You'll now be in the chat, from there you can click the "invite" button on the top of the chat window and then select (or manually type in) other AIM users to invite.

Alternatively, you can also
  • (During a conversation with an AIM user) Click the invite button on top of the message window
  • Select (or manually type in) AIM users to invite. You *will* need to manually type in the screen name of the person who's IM box you were just in to invite. Click OK.
  • The message window will now turn in to a chat window, which all of your friends will soon join.

The second method has a drawback/bug in that the logs for that chat will be under the person's who's IM box you turned in to the chat.
Last edited by thebachellor; 24 Sep 2010 at 09:33 AM..
Registered Sep 2010
3 Posts
Old 24 Sep 2010, 09:27 AM
oh man, that is the one thing i did not try. doh! i see it now and it works as advertised, actually works better than advertised. nice interface. thanks for the help!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: