Go Back   Trillian Discussion Forums > Help and Support > Technical Support

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Registered Mar 2011
8 Posts
Old 07 Mar 2011, 06:23 PM
Stumped Your resource "%resource%" is now offline. Error Spam
"Your resource "%resource%" is now offline."

I keep getting spammed with this message - not quite sure when it started, but a few months now me thinks.

Clicking on the popup takes me to my device page, which has my computer's network name, followed by a random string, and external IP. There are no options here except to activate diagnostic logging.

It doesn't seem to affect functionality, near as I can tell, but the spam is quite irritating. If someone could tell me where to turn it off, that'd be good enough for me.

Trillian version: Umm... Ehh... Can't figure where to pull it up, but the exec is 4.02.0000.0025 dated 02/15/2011. (Trillian/Win32 4.2.0.25)
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
Located at Great White North
3,702 Posts
Old 07 Mar 2011, 06:40 PM
Search is your friend.

It's a message telling you another device has connecting or disconnected using your Trillian account. In your case that is disconnecting or going offline.

If you don't use any other devices, computers or mobile phones, it may be just due to your connection to the server being lost and reacquired.

If you are noticing it a lot chances are you're using a wireless network signal and your connection is frequently dropping.
Registered Mar 2011
8 Posts
Old 07 Mar 2011, 06:59 PM
Searched for "Your resource is now offline" - got nadda. :\

It's not a wireless network. Everything's wired.

Not using any other devices.

Connection seems solid. Hosting servers here - think there'd be some complaints were it not.

Anyway to suppress the message?

It's spamming it often enough that I'm pretty close to looking for another conglomerated messenger - but I'd hate to have to transfer all the aliased contact names over.
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 07 Mar 2011, 08:56 PM
The only other people have have posted this were on connections that were not stable... I would double check that it isn't your internet connections fault ... if its doing it so fast it doesn't affect typical web stuff that might be why you haven't heard complaints.
Registered Mar 2011
8 Posts
Old 07 Mar 2011, 09:29 PM
We host gaming servers 24/7 here. If the network gets unstable at all, a hundred little children come running to us screaming "LAAAG!"

But, just out of curiosity, I've been running Smokeping for about 2 hours without a single drop. Meanwhile, I've gotten the popup about 50 more times in that same space. I've also done a manual ping -t run up against ceruleanstudios.com for that same period, without a single drop.

Even if this network wasn't as stable as a rock - it'd be quite silly to be getting that error spam just because you were wireless or on an otherwise slightly unstable service. It's an Instant Messenger, it doesn't require a constant connection, and has no business complaining when it can't get one, for whatever reason. Again, despite the claims of drops, the messaging service is running just fine. I'll often get the error spam several times in one conversation with no other effect.

This device panel didn't used to exist, and I've never seen this error before now... Is there an archive for older versions of Trillian? I am likely just going to have to find a new IM handler otherwise. An older version of Trillian would at least let me keep my 300+ aliased contacts.
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
3,702 Posts
Old 07 Mar 2011, 11:45 PM
It didn't used to exist in Trillian 3 and earlier, but Trillian 4 and 5 it's been there as long as I can remember (though I never took part of early testing for Trillian 4).

Only thing I can suggest is pay more attention to the device listing and verify it's all your pc, same name and ip. If it's different, change your password. IF it's the same, you're losing your connection to the Trillian servers for some reason.
Registered Mar 2011
8 Posts
Old 08 Mar 2011, 12:24 AM
Well it's this PC. Only lists the one "device".

*sigh* I'm downgrading to Trillian 3. I really can't put up with this hyperactive and utterly meaningless error spam. If it can't connect to the Trillian server, or whatever it's claiming, seeing as how it apparently doesn't need to in order to work, it can STFU about it or die, as far as I'm concerned.

Kinda reminds me of way back when I purchased the full version of Trillian, and downgraded back to the shareware version cuz the full version was giving me headaches.
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
3,702 Posts
Old 08 Mar 2011, 04:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thothie View Post
Well it's this PC. Only lists the one "device".

*sigh* I'm downgrading to Trillian 3. I really can't put up with this hyperactive and utterly meaningless error spam. If it can't connect to the Trillian server, or whatever it's claiming, seeing as how it apparently doesn't need to in order to work, it can STFU about it or die, as far as I'm concerned.

Kinda reminds me of way back when I purchased the full version of Trillian, and downgraded back to the shareware version cuz the full version was giving me headaches.
Don't know why it's hard to understand. For whatever the reason you lose your connection to the server, you then reconnect automatically when it can, and your previous session ends due to timeout and you get a notification that a conneciton (the previous one) has gone offline.

There's nothing you have to make "STFU or die" and it's not error spam. Figure out why your connection is being lost.

If you want to downgrade thats up to you, enjoy Trillian 3 while you can.

Personally, I'd think figuring out why your connection is dropping and resolving it would be a higher priority. You're being notified about your connection (previous session) to the Trillian server going offline,but that doesn't mean your other connections whatever they may be (WLM, Google, AIM, etc) are not also having connection issues that you are not seeing.
Registered Mar 2011
8 Posts
Old 08 Mar 2011, 04:46 AM
First off, there is no connection loss.

After nearly 10 hours of running Smokeping and a manual Ping run to the Trillian server, without a single drop, and the fact that we're running six game servers with over 30 clients between them, without a single complaint, we've more than verified that.

Secondly, even though Trillian *claims* there's a connection loss, there's zero loss of functionality. So whatever connection it thinks it is losing, it apparently doesn't need.

So there's no loss, and no error worth reporting.

Yet, the program is generating massive error spam for no discernable reason.

In conclusion, it's not the system, nor the network, just the program being silly.

Best part, is I've lost my alias list downgrading to 3.0... So there's no longer any point in running Trillian at all, unless I can figure a way to get it back right quick. I'm likely going to look for one of the alternatives folks keep pushing me towards. Hopefully one that can paste code bits without destroying their formatting in the process.
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 08 Mar 2011, 08:21 AM
The buddies.xml file from 5.x and 4.x will work, you just need to copy it over.

Using the phrase STFU and die doesn't really make it likely that many people are going to want to help you...

But beyond that, maybe you should submit a bug report and actually allow CS to figure out whats wrong and fix it rather than just whining and running away?

There are no better IM clients, but you can feel free to try to prove me wrong.
Registered Mar 2011
8 Posts
Old 08 Mar 2011, 08:00 PM
Bug!
Thanks for the buddylist tip there, that may save me some trouble. I guess the two versions just store it in different places. Copy-paste seems to have fixed that.

While I don't expect people to take my telling a bit of software to "STFU or Die" personally, I will draw the line of naming the other, competing, conglomerated IM products people have been pushing me at on the Trillian forums. Suffice to say, there seem to be several, with less overhead, and in some cases, that seem less apt to mess up code-formatting when copying between users. The last being rather critical in my line of work. (Also, there seems to be at least two that seem to be entirely web-app portals - but I dunno if I trust that sort of thing.)

No doubt there are several worse options as well, possibly even spyware or adware laden to boot.

But I've been using Trillian practically since its inception, and have so many contacts aliased under it, that I've no clue who I am talking to without it anymore. >< I suppose I'll hold on until either they fix this or, as you suggest it may, Trillian 3.x stops working.

It does seem the performance has been degrading since the earliest release, but such as it is with all software. A team will always want to put more and more features into a system, without rebuilding from scratch, and thus you always wind up with this Tower of Babel scenario. I've been part of enough projects that have sinned in that regards far worse than has Trillian, so I know how hard that is to avoid.

From my search, the bug has been reported, but there's no proposed solutions I can find, beyond folks chalking it up to spotty connections. That's certainly not the case here, but even where it is, it seems that the connection should have to be down for quite a bit longer before Trillian should bother making a complaint, if it should ever complain at all, especially if simply being wireless is likely to trigger it (which, again, is not the case here).
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
3,702 Posts
Old 08 Mar 2011, 11:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thothie View Post
From my search, the bug has been reported, but there's no proposed solutions I can find, beyond folks chalking it up to spotty connections. That's certainly not the case here, but even where it is, it seems that the connection should have to be down for quite a bit longer before Trillian should bother making a complaint, if it should ever complain at all, especially if simply being wireless is likely to trigger it (which, again, is not the case here).
That's the thing I've been trying to explain to you, and I guess I have been failing to do so correctly.

When your connection drops, even if it's for .1 seconds, you reconnect to the Trillian server and a new session starts. If you connect before your old session timeouts you will end up with 2 devices connected (2 sessions, on the same device), and when the first finally is removed you will get a notification of it. The notification is working as intended.

You would also receive one if another device connects.

If you get the notification, then you should find in your Astra status window that you lost your connect and then reconnected.

Maybe at some point they should add a way to disable the notification, but unless there's some new glitch in 4.2.0.25 that is causing it to think you have another device connected and remove it, all without disrupting your working connection, then more than likely you for whatever reason are losing your connection to the Trillian server.... which does not necessarily mean your location network is at fault. It's just a common assumption it is, and usually that is due to a wireless signal. Which is why we mentioned it first.

As for performance, 3.x got very bloated. I didnt want to upgrade to 4 but when I did I was very happy with the performance. Even more so with 5.
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 09 Mar 2011, 11:34 AM
I do agree with his point that maybe it could wait 5 seconds or so before throwing the error up, or at least it could wait that long after the first time in a 24 hour period or something of the sort.
Registered Jun 2011
3 Posts
Old 14 Jun 2011, 08:26 AM
Frustrated with Trillian's constant spam "resource" popups
Wow--after finally finding a few minutes in my busy workday to google these constant spam popups, it turns out they're from Trillian, that there's no way to shut them off, and Trillian doesn't care.

I never asked for these "resources" that Trillian is so fond of, and I don't care when they come online and go offline. I get popups about the damn things about once per minute while I'm trying to get work done. I've had eleven...fourteen--now EIGHTEEN--of them just as I've written this message, all notifying me that Trillian thinks my connection dropped on one or another workstation. My connection is rock solid to everything I care about. Only Trillian has this problem. There's nothing to diagnose, nothing to fix.

While Trillian has a screen full of checkboxes to configure notifications, it seems you've intentionally avoided any way to stifle these pointless "resource" popups. Microsoft specifically discourages this sort of pointless yammering that Trillian does:
Is the status useful and relevant? That is, are users likely to monitor the icon and change their behavior as a result of this information? If not, either don't display the status, or put it in a log file.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511448.aspx
As your design, the only behavior change that I can make in response to your endless status popups uninstall Trillian. I've stuffed a gag in Trillian's constant whining through the OS by removing its icon from the system tray, so I can get work done. But that turns off ALL of Trillian's notifications--which means no notification even when someone sends me a direct message. Who in their right mind thinks "resource" popups from a messaging program are more important than actual messages?

Is there any hope of a fix, or do I need to find a better messaging program?
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 14 Jun 2011, 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David3919 View Post
Wow--after finally finding a few minutes in my busy workday to google these constant spam popups, it turns out they're from Trillian, that there's no way to shut them off, and Trillian doesn't care.

I never asked for these "resources" that Trillian is so fond of, and I don't care when they come online and go offline. I get popups about the damn things about once per minute while I'm trying to get work done. I've had eleven...fourteen--now EIGHTEEN--of them just as I've written this message, all notifying me that Trillian thinks my connection dropped on one or another workstation. My connection is rock solid to everything I care about. Only Trillian has this problem. There's nothing to diagnose, nothing to fix.

While Trillian has a screen full of checkboxes to configure notifications, it seems you've intentionally avoided any way to stifle these pointless "resource" popups. Microsoft specifically discourages this sort of pointless yammering that Trillian does:
Is the status useful and relevant? That is, are users likely to monitor the icon and change their behavior as a result of this information? If not, either don't display the status, or put it in a log file.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511448.aspx
As your design, the only behavior change that I can make in response to your endless status popups uninstall Trillian. I've stuffed a gag in Trillian's constant whining through the OS by removing its icon from the system tray, so I can get work done. But that turns off ALL of Trillian's notifications--which means no notification even when someone sends me a direct message. Who in their right mind thinks "resource" popups from a messaging program are more important than actual messages?

Is there any hope of a fix, or do I need to find a better messaging program?
Let's calm down and work through it eh? For your first post you think you would nicely ask for help first...geez.

So what medium are the resource popups from? Astra? GoogleTalk? please specify and if you can provide a screenshot of one of them if you are unsure... and yes you can blur out a few letters of your username if you are paranoid we are going to send you friend requests.
Registered Mar 2011
8 Posts
Old 15 Jun 2011, 08:11 AM
Eh, I think he is on about the same "resource popups" I was - if you take the message in context. The constant "Your resource %resource% is now offline." BS.

David3919: I "downgraded" to Trillian 3.1 pro. This does not have this issue. Port your buddy list as described in the thread above, if need be.

I am sad to hear that they apparently did not fix this issue in Trillian 5 - I was tempted to try "upgrading" again, when I saw the release, but from David's reaction, I guess the bug is still there.

It is likely not your connection either. I run game servers on this network - if anything drops here, I get a thousand angry e-mails. But just to be absolutely sure I turned on all the network monitors for three weeks and got nadda in all that time.

Guess I'll come back and see if they've fixed it in Trillian 6.
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 15 Jun 2011, 10:18 AM
Throthie, I understand that, but I care about getting it fixed, not sending people downgrading to clients that will lose functionality.

The resource messages could apply to any medium that uses resources, like Astra, XMPP, Jabber, GoogleTalk, Facebook, etc... thus why it would be nice to confirm they are indeed just Astra or maybe perhaps a different medium.
Crusty Olde Dinosaur
Registered Nov 2004
Located at Rochester, Kent. UK
790 Posts
Old 15 Jun 2011, 05:10 PM
I agree that these notifications can be annoying but I seriously don't get them to such a degree as you are stating.
That said, there is certainly a problem somehere as these pop-ups aren't being shown at the time of the event happening or at least it seems that way.
Having been in the situation where I've had servers running you are certainly going to get plagued with emails & phone calls when there are hiccups in the connection - even a minor one. Gaming servers are very user-unfriendly when this sort of thing happens.... gamers are expecting a perfectly smooth connection even if their own ISP isn't so rock solid!

Just to show how the events aren't right -
Eg: Once in a while my internet gets a hiccup (usually after hammering it all night at max running a zillion torrents)... Trillian is just sitting there, offline, as the bandwidth used by the torrents has effectively knocked it off. If I have a torrent splurge during the day, Trillian looses its connections one-by-one untill all are offline then it just sits there - it never reconnects and I don't get a pop-up notification. I exit Trillian, reboot the router, wait for it to be fully operational (tested by going on the net) then restart Trillian - hey presto... a "resource offline" pop-up when the network and internet are fully working and Trillian wasn't started up until it was up and running and fully working - and it doesn't matter how long I wait when I restart Trillian... mintues, hours, sometimes days.
In this case the resource is always the Trillian I have just started. If I start Trillian up on a different PC that was actually not running at the time the router died or torrents were running I don't get the resource offline pop-up.

So something isn't quite right somewhere though I have no idea where to point the finger exactly other than at Trillian itself. It is reproducable every time.

I don't think 'old' events should be displayed or even loogged (to avoid excessive disk usage/thrashing). By "old" I am thinking along the lines of 0.5s or 1s.... After all, a whole second is a very long time to a processor - even an old and slow one!
If I were programming around the problem, I wouldn't try to trap it where the event is triggered or anywhere in the event processing thread - I'd let it do what it already does just in case something else needs doing at a later date. I would put it somewhere at the point where it would be displayed.
Something like (forgive the ancient notation) -
IF ((current-time - event-trigger-time) < event-display-age) THEN
DisplayEvent (event)
ELSE
; do nothing! don't even log it.
ENDIF
where 'event-display-age' is the time period between an event trigger and when it's usefulness as a display item is no longer valid/wanted - either set/selectable by the user or hard-coded somewhere within Trillian itself. A user-selectable drop-down option would be good here.... 1s, 2s, 5s, 20s, 1m, 5m, 30m as a choice?? Just a suggestion. There's no point in having a 'Never' or zero option because those with other devices will want to know if/when the 'other' device actually goes offline - it doesn't make any sense to turn it off completely.

I hope that made sense and maybe this notification problem can be resolved.

On a side-note that might help ajm or someone in the dev team -
Many many moons ago I used to regularly link up to a site to download a lot of movies before they were officially realeased (not available now) and there was a period of about 4-5 months where it was a shaky connection that manifested itself by giving very slow download speeds or timing out unexpectedly. The site used an OC3 connection and it used to be lightning fast then sufferred abysmally for a while. After a LOT of prodding and investigation it eventually turned out to be a minor routing table problem from somewhere in India to Beijing (China) where the server was located. If you got lucky and your ISP routed you via a different set of routing tables (and they are dynamic around the world depending on traffic load) you got a nice clean link to the target server. If not, you sufferred terrible speeds and regular dropouts/reconnects trying to transfer anything beyond a few bytes. Even when testing, multiple 'pings' showed a good link and that's why it took MONTHS to resolve and was eventually fixed somewhere inside China (China Telecoms seems to ring a bell).

So the guys here may well be correct in saying it has something to do with a rickety connection and it may also be true that your servers and networks are rock solid. It could be something similar to the problem I had a few years ago where the problem exists elsewhere and only affects a very few users and even fewer connections.... in my case, just the ONE connection to ONE server. It never ever happened to anything else anywhere.
If it is something like this then it's NOT a problem with Trillian itself or your servers/networks but is external to both ends beyond either one's control. These routing tables are maintained, on the most part, by humans and they are prone to minor mis-haps... none of them are guaranteed to be 100% perfect but for most people most of the time, it works.
It's just a thought!

Just my 2 cents.
Intelligence means that sometimes the obvious flies over your head!
Last edited by FreedomDwarf; 15 Jun 2011 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: typos & additions
Registered Mar 2011
8 Posts
Old 16 Jun 2011, 04:04 AM
Argue as to who's fault this is aside...

It could be fixed by a simple checkbox: "[x] Report Resource Disconnects"

Given the, INSANE, number of options Trillian has for every minute detail of its operations... Why not this?

The frequency of this pop-up makes Trillian 4+ unusable for most of us affected by it. There is no new functionality to make it worth this annoyance. Thus, until someone adds this very simple feature, downgrading is the only option.
Crusty Olde Dinosaur
Registered Nov 2004
790 Posts
Old 17 Jun 2011, 12:52 PM
@Thothie -
I agree wholeheartedly! But I'm guessing the dev team did not expect this particular notification to be very frequent unless there's a problem elsewhere.
I'm using Trillian v5, not v4 but I bet the problem still exists in v5. Perhaps someone can verify if this is the case??
If it is still a problem in v5 then it seriously needs looking at but I don't see that it should be a simple on/off thingy - its too important to do that. As has been explained, it would appear that there is a problem with that installation of Trillian being able to reach the CS server for whatever reason and it is showing that as a problem, as it should do.
Official Admin
Cerulean Studios Developer
Registered Dec 2000
Located at Connecticut
870 Posts
Old 17 Jun 2011, 02:35 PM
There's no way to shut this off, and this is an unanticipated use case. It should definitely get it into Bugzilla.

It's an important alert, as it means you've signed on or off elsewhere. While connected products (like desktop instant messengers) are not designed for a scenario where you constantly get disconnected, I can see how your intermittent internet connection makes it something you would like to disable.

More info on how to use Trillian's bugzilla: http://www.trillian.im/help/507

Edit: After reading a little more closely, I see that you claim your connections are maintained throughout the situation. In this case, most definitely get it into bugzilla.
Last edited by ajm; 17 Jun 2011 at 02:42 PM..
Crusty Olde Dinosaur
Registered Nov 2004
790 Posts
Old 18 Jun 2011, 05:48 AM
@ajm -

Is it not possible for Trillian NOT to display old and probably no-longer-relevant messages such as these??
I certainly do not need to know that the last time I had Trillian running on a remote PC I'm now using that the resource is offline from 2 or 3 weeks ago!! The message is 1) annoying; 2) completely irrelevant at this time; 3) confusing for many users.
Whether this scenario of near-constant messages is an actual bug or not that needs reporting is a different matter. The fact that Trillian is displaying old and very likely irrelevant information is something that is certainly a bug that needs fixing. If you fix the 'old-and-irrelevant notification' problem, this other 'bug' would also be fixed.
If certain users are still suffering from constant similar messages then the problem needs to be addressed outside of Trillian as the trigger for it is located elsewhere.
Registered Jun 2011
3 Posts
Old 18 Jun 2011, 09:32 AM
Popup example
Here's an example of the popup I'm referring to, with blurred machine name:

Mine is 64-bit Windows 7, in case that matters.

I regret I was a bit harsh in my first post, but I've been hounded by these popups all week, over and over and over again. It starts to feel like a malware infection.

Thanks!
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
3,702 Posts
Old 18 Jun 2011, 01:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by David3919 View Post
Here's an example of the popup I'm referring to, with blurred machine name:

Mine is 64-bit Windows 7, in case that matters.

I regret I was a bit harsh in my first post, but I've been hounded by these popups all week, over and over and over again. It starts to feel like a malware infection.

Thanks!
It's not a malware infection, all it is is Trillian notifying you that a device is disconnecting from your Astra account.

Whether you realize it or not, you're losing your connection briefly to the Astra server, upon reconnecting you are doing so with a new session. When the old session ends due to timeout, you're being notified that resource/device has signed off.

Even if your connection within your local network is stable, and you have a strong stable connection to your Internet provider, you could have connection issues anywhere along the connection route to the CS server.
agnostic-stigmata
Registered Feb 2008
Located at Grand Rapids, Michigan
2,550 Posts
Old 04 Aug 2011, 09:02 AM
I have been getting this msg multiple times this morning and i know for a fact that it is not my internet connection. Hopefully what ever is causing it will clear up soon.
I am what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. I am agnostic-stigmata.
Crusty Olde Dinosaur
Registered Nov 2004
790 Posts
Old 04 Aug 2011, 02:01 PM
Quote:
...and i know for a fact that it is not my internet connection
I'm afraid it is just that; a hiccup between you and the CS servers - even if it's just for a fraction of a second, the connection has been broken somewhere along the line and Trillian will start a new session when the connection is re-established with the CS servers.
agnostic-stigmata
Registered Feb 2008
2,550 Posts
Old 04 Aug 2011, 02:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDwarf View Post
I'm afraid it is just that; a hiccup between you and the CS servers - even if it's just for a fraction of a second, the connection has been broken somewhere along the line and Trillian will start a new session when the connection is re-established with the CS servers.
Yeah yeah but i think you know what i mean.
My id did not actually sign off, just the notification popped up. Made me wonder if C.S. was doing some server work.
I am what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. I am agnostic-stigmata.
Crusty Olde Dinosaur
Registered Nov 2004
790 Posts
Old 04 Aug 2011, 03:22 PM
That's quite possible!
I know they've had some hiccups with the time sync on one of them recently.
agnostic-stigmata
Registered Feb 2008
2,550 Posts
Old 04 Aug 2011, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDwarf View Post
I know they've had some hiccups with the time sync on one of them recently.
ajm mentioned that in a thread i started titled "Trillian forum glitch/issue". So yeah, maybe there are still some hiccups.
Registered Sep 2011
1 Posts
Old 01 Sep 2011, 04:53 PM
I've had the same issue now for some time, is there an answer to it?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: