Go Back   Trillian Discussion Forums > General Discussions > Trillian for Windows

Registered May 2007
Located at Stafford County, Virginia
48 Posts
Old 17 Nov 2011, 11:51 AM
Skype video calls using Trillian 5.1
I have in the last couple of days upgraded my Trillian to version 5.1 and it is my understanding from Glenn Seibert of Trillian support staff that with Trillian 5.1 using Skype no longer requires Skype to also be installed, although I still do.

If such is the case, can someone tell me how to access and place a video call using Skype from within Trillian 5.1, please? I have been looking for the secret of doing it for a couple of days now, but I can find no obvious means of placing a Skype video call other opening Skype up and doing it through the Skype interface as before. Did I misunderstand when Glenn said the other day, or am I not seeing something in Trillian 5.1? On a side note, I also have the plugins for Yahoo and AOL IM connected as well, though have never used their video call connections, but I cannot find any means of doing that either.

An lastly, on a somewhat related note, if Skype is no longer needed to be installed in order to use it with Trillian 5.1 then is there still any need to keep it installed at all? Should I uninstall it (after learning how to place a video call in Trillian 5.1) in order to prevent future conflicts, or does it really make any difference? I'd appreciate hearing from Glenn or anyone else who can answer these questions. I am running on 64-bit Windows 7 SP1 if that matters with anything. Thanks.

David
David E. Cann
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
Located at Great White North
3,702 Posts
Old 17 Nov 2011, 04:34 PM
You've been looking for the secret, but not hard enough I don't think. All of this has been discussed before

Video calls are not supported. You'll have to use skype for that.

Yahoo does support webcam use, but does not support voice or video calls. Hopefully one day soon it will again. AIM, I dont' remember it ever supporting video or audio in Trillian.

As for having skype installed, no it's not necessary. But there are many features skype has which skypekit (or the interface with Trillian) is not capable of at this time. If you use any you'll want to keep Skype installed for when you need them.
Registered May 2007
Located at Stafford County, Virginia
48 Posts
Old 17 Nov 2011, 07:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKong View Post
You've been looking for the secret, but not hard enough I don't think. All of this has been discussed before

Video calls are not supported. You'll have to use skype for that.

Yahoo does support webcam use, but does not support voice or video calls. Hopefully one day soon it will again. AIM, I dont' remember it ever supporting video or audio in Trillian.

As for having skype installed, no it's not necessary. But there are many features skype has which skypekit (or the interface with Trillian) is not capable of at this time. If you use any you'll want to keep Skype installed for when you need them.
That explains why I could not find it then, but as I said in my original post Glenn said no installation of Skype is needed at all with version 5.1 so that implies otherwise, and thus my question when I could not find any means of connecting to video. As for AOL and Yahoo video, I've never used their video in the past so have no idea, but I do have both plugins (as well as Windows Live) in use for IM and would like to use their video connections as well if there is such a possibility, but apparently there is not.

Thank you for the answer.
David E. Cann

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: