Go Back   Trillian Discussion Forums > General Discussions > Trillian for Windows

agnostic-stigmata
Registered Feb 2008
Located at Grand Rapids, Michigan
2,550 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 11:02 AM
Trillian 5.2 Beta
Incase people do not pay much attention to the blog i figured i would mention that Trillian 5.2 beta is public. The first public build is 5.2.0.8.
Here is the blog link for the 5.2 beta announcement.
http://blog.trillian.im/?p=2450
I am what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. I am agnostic-stigmata.
Registered Oct 2009
Located at Nuremberg/Germany
301 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 11:26 AM
thanks! Already saw it on Facebook, which immediately had switched me to here for downloading!

Installed & all fine here! No probs yet!

Astra: TheGardner // AIM: TheGardnerII // ICQ: 48257447 // WLM: TheGardnerIIAThotmail.com // Jabber: TheGardnerATjabber.org // Twitter: TheGardner // Facebook: TheGardner //
agnostic-stigmata
Registered Feb 2008
2,550 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 11:28 AM
Seems to be working nicely for me too, atleast so far.
I am what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. I am agnostic-stigmata.
Registered Aug 2009
Located at Plovdiv, Bulgaria
33 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 11:29 AM
It crashes few seconds after starting... maybe because I write in cyrillic (Bulgarian) ?
Trillian Astra Pro 5.1 b10
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
agnostic-stigmata
Registered Feb 2008
2,550 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by abixbg View Post
It crashes few seconds after starting... maybe because I write in cyrillic (Bulgarian) ?
That is possible. Try in english and see if it stops crashing.

Edit: If that does not help i would get a diagnostic log and then start a private conversation on the new support system and give the log to one of the devs.
Last edited by agnostic-stigma; 03 May 2012 at 11:38 AM..
Registered Aug 2009
33 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 11:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic-stigma View Post
That is possible. Try in english and see if it stops crashing.
No. It crashes without any action from me... reverted to 5.1.0.19
agnostic-stigmata
Registered Feb 2008
2,550 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 11:57 AM
There is a way to enable diagnostic logging before trillian starts. I forget the key combination to start diagnostic logging but when you start trillian the identity/select user screen appears, that's when you use the hotkeys to enable it. It's something like: ctrl+shift+d, or something like that. I will try to find a post that mention what keys to hit before logging on (incase you want to get a diagnostic log to the devs about your issue).
agnostic-stigmata
Registered Feb 2008
2,550 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 12:05 PM
Sorry for the double post but i found the info for enabling diagnostic logs during startup.

1) Hold control+shift when selecting your Trillian username at the login screen to enable debug mode.

2) Wait for trillian to fail/crash, however long it takes.

3) Once complete, the debug log should exist on your desktop.

Edit: After you get the diagnost/debug log go to the new support page and start a new private conversation. You can upload the debug log there.
Your diagnostic/debug log might contain some private info that you do not want to share. That's why i am recommending you start a private conversation.
The link to the new support page is: http://help.trillian.im/
Last edited by agnostic-stigma; 03 May 2012 at 01:05 PM..
Registered Oct 2003
Located at Berlin (DE)
15 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 01:14 PM
How does the spellcheck work? Seems not working with me.
agnostic-stigmata
Registered Feb 2008
2,550 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 01:17 PM
Did you make sure it is enabled ? It was auto enabled for me.
To check go to: Preferences/Fonts & Chats, scroll to the very bottom. You'll see 2 options.
Registered Oct 2003
Located at Berlin (DE)
15 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 01:43 PM
yes, both is enabled.
Registered Sep 2001
Located at Wisconsin
54 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 01:45 PM
Unhappy ugh IRC problem
can't seem to click on links in irc channels now
flatlyne2001

REMEMBER: it's not IF you're paranoid, IT'S are you paranoid enough
Registered Mar 2001
Located at Cincinnati, OH, USA
16 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 04:34 PM
Anyone having the issue where the chat window becomes clear? It only renders the window frame and in the middle where the conversation would be, you can see the desktop or any windows behind it. Minimize/maximize doesn't help. You have to close all chat tabs and reopen.
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
Located at Great White North
3,702 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 05:12 PM
So far no crashes on my end.

I like that it is displaying the contact name and service icon in the windows 7 taskbar preview, along with number of new messages, but not sure I like that contact pic. It's showing only part of the pics, they are enlarged and pixelated. Kind of hard on the eyes and confusing to look at. First thing you want to look at is the pic but it's hard to know exactly what you're looking at sometimes.

Spellcheck is working for me, though it's not auto correcting.

And Avion Pro 5.1 seems to be working fine with it, though I imagine it may need to be updated in some places.
agnostic-stigmata
Registered Feb 2008
2,550 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKong View Post
I like that it is displaying the contact name and service icon in the windows 7 taskbar preview, along with number of new messages, but not sure I like that contact pic. It's showing only part of the pics, they are enlarged and pixelated. Kind of hard on the eyes and confusing to look at. First thing you want to look at is the pic but it's hard to know exactly what you're looking at sometimes.
I mentioned similar on the blog.
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
3,702 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 05:18 PM
Quote:
I mentioned similar on the blog.
Ya i saw it, felt no need to mention it again since it was already there.
Last edited by TheKong; 03 May 2012 at 05:24 PM..
agnostic-stigmata
Registered Feb 2008
2,550 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 05:21 PM
It reminds me of when they released 5.0 or 5.1 with the new taskbar icons and they were pixelated too. Very next build that was released had a fix. Hopefully they do the same with this eyesore.

Edit: By taskbar icons i meant service/medium icons that appeared in taskbar when you had a chat going with someone.
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
3,702 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 05:24 PM
I also like that they updated the Promote Trillian text, even more that they moved that button to the top rather than being at the bottom. I'm sure alot of people will not like the new message it wants to send though, having your Trillian ID in the message and then just sending a URL but not providing info on what it is exactly. I like it's been changed but not sure I like the message yet. It's simple and to the point, "I'm john, go here!" but seems to be lacking a reason why they should or what they're goign to see.
agnostic-stigmata
Registered Feb 2008
2,550 Posts
Old 03 May 2012, 05:32 PM
I read about those changes but forgot to check them. I agree, the promote trillian msg does lack info and most people might ignore it because of that. When reading the msg it feels to spammy (for lack of better terms).
Registered Aug 2009
33 Posts
Old 04 May 2012, 02:56 AM
Quote:
Sorry for the double post but i found the info for enabling diagnostic logs during startup.

1) Hold control+shift when selecting your Trillian username at the login screen to enable debug mode.

2) Wait for trillian to fail/crash, however long it takes.

3) Once complete, the debug log should exist on your desktop.

Edit: After you get the diagnost/debug log go to the new support page and start a new private conversation. You can upload the debug log there.
Your diagnostic/debug log might contain some private info that you do not want to share. That's why i am recommending you start a private conversation.
The link to the new support page is: http://help.trillian.im/
Thank you! Got the log and saw there that it crashes when Facebook starts loading. I have disabled FB and there is no crash

Something else pinned contacts (right click on taskbar icon) doesn't seem to work
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
3,702 Posts
Old 04 May 2012, 04:04 AM
Odd, no crashes for me and I have facebook running and connecting on startup.
Registered Dec 2006
25 Posts
Old 04 May 2012, 12:32 PM
Problems with Chat (Google Talk & Skype) & Service Icons
A few things I've noticed:

1) switching to the 5.0 service icons only works until you restart. Specifically, individual chat windows show the generic blue dot as opposed to the [G] or [S] for GoogleTalk or Skype that are shown when you first switch.

2) When typing into a GoogleTalk chat, the line i typed doesn't usually get cleared after hitting enter. At first I thought I didn't hit enter, so hit it again, and the msg appeared twice. Now I just have to realize that the repeated text *will* be there, and make sure I delete it before continuing to type. Very annoying, but I can deal with it till the next build.

EDIT: I've just started seeing this with Skype chats too.

2a) the CRTL-Up/Down typing history also gets confused, but is probably related to (2)

3) Trillian has crashed a few times, but could be related to Skype. I've *just* updated to the latest Skype (5.8.0.158 from 5.8.0.154), so I'll see if that makes a difference as well. I've also just enabled logging, so will report more as I find it.

Thanks,
Pete
Last edited by TrayRacer; 04 May 2012 at 02:59 PM.. Reason: update problem to shpow Skype as well
agnostic-stigmata
Registered Feb 2008
2,550 Posts
Old 04 May 2012, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrayRacer View Post

3) Trillian has crashed a few times, but could be related to Skype. I've *just* updated to the latest Skype (5.8.0.158 from 5.8.0.154), so I'll see if that makes a difference as well. I've also just enabled logging, so will report more as I find it.

Thanks,
Pete
Are you using skype and the skypekit within trillian at the same time ?
You no longer need skype running/installed along with trillian.
Registered Dec 2006
25 Posts
Old 04 May 2012, 03:34 PM
Quote:
Are you using skype and the skypekit within trillian at the same time ?
You no longer need skype running/installed along with trillian.
I'm not running Skype on its own, but I thought it still needed to be installed. I do still need the actual Skype app when I need to do screen shares, since that's not (yet?) part of Trillian.

Thanks,
Pete
agnostic-stigmata
Registered Feb 2008
2,550 Posts
Old 04 May 2012, 03:50 PM
Skype no longer needs to run with trillian. The only reason you'll need skype installed is for when you need to do something that skypekit is not able to do yet. For normal skype chats and etc, you can use the skype plugin in trillian.
Skypekit was introduced into trillian in version 5.1 if i recall correctly.
Registered Dec 2006
25 Posts
Old 04 May 2012, 03:59 PM
Quote:
Skype no longer needs to run with trillian.
Correct. I've been using Trillian with Skype since 2006, and IIRC it was in 5.1 (or 5.0) that Trillian no longer required Skype to be running alongside. Since I already had Skype installed, I wasn't aware that it wasn't actually required anymore. Good to know.

Regardless, it has been running fine for a while now (especially since the Trillian team fixed the issue when coming back from sleep mode - yea!!!). The crash has only started happening since installing the 5.2 Beta - and of course it hasn't yet crashed since I enabled diagnostic logging.

Thanks,
Pete
agnostic-stigmata
Registered Feb 2008
2,550 Posts
Old 04 May 2012, 04:10 PM
Quote:
- and of course it hasn't yet crashed since I enabled diagnostic logging.

Thanks,
Pete

lol, figures.
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
3,702 Posts
Old 04 May 2012, 06:57 PM
Noticed something odd.

When I send images in chat the image i send no longer is click able (by me).
If I send a 2nd image, the 1st image becomes clickable, but it disaplays the 2nd image in teh window and right clicking on the 1st image to copy url gives url for 2nd image.

Giong to test images recieved shortly.

Update...

I had a contact using the beta send me an image to see i they had the same problem IT went fine on my end and on theirs. Decided to try without Avion Pro 5.1 running, worked fine. Went back to AP5.1 and it still worked fine, so not sure what the issue was. Perhaps simply restarting fixed it.

Update #2

The issue has resurfaced, I need to do more testing. But it's also doing this to urls, not just images.

It also seems that it's more of a "distance" issue, I can click on the URL but only if my mouse is in the right spot int he middle of plain text within previous messages.

The green line indicates where my mouse has to be (cursor wouldn't show up in screenshot).

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled2.png
Views:	2216
Size:	267.5 KB
ID:	24074  
Last edited by TheKong; 04 May 2012 at 11:24 PM..
Registered Dec 2006
25 Posts
Old 05 May 2012, 02:33 PM
Workaround for repeated chat lines!
Quote:
2) When typing into a chat, the line i typed doesn't usually get cleared after hitting enter. I have to realize that the repeated text *will* be there, and make sure I delete it before continuing to type.
Okay, I've identified the problem - it's the spell checker! Anytime I hit send with a misspelled word, the line reappears in the chat box.

It doesn't matter if auto-correct is on or not, but if I disable spell check, the problem goes away.

I have attached a short diagnostic log showing the problem. Hopefully it's an easy fix.

Regards,
Pete
Attached Files
File Type: txt Trillian-repeats.txt (9.4 KB, 123 views)
Barrel Thrower
Registered Sep 2009
3,702 Posts
Old 07 May 2012, 01:27 AM
I wouldn't necessarily say this is a bug, just something i've noticed.

When setting an away status or custom message pressing enter goes to a new line rather than sending/submitting.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: