Go Back   Trillian Discussion Forums > Trillian Development > Skin Development

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.40 average. Display Modes
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 05:45 AM
Lightbulb [Icon Pack] Cubic-Services for Trillian 4.x (Astra)

Available now with new Iconpack selector!

Download: http://forums.ceruleanstudios.com/sh...ad.php?t=96453

Current version: 4.1.0.0
Last edited by DiamondNRG; 26 Mar 2010 at 08:59 PM.. Reason: Updated :)
I am Ninja!
Registered Aug 2005
Located at Tampa, FL, USA!
1,907 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 07:41 AM
Not too crazy about some of those cubes, but the cubes with the glowing rings look SWEET!
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 07:45 AM
ZodiacN64 - Mind being a bit more specific? I hope you are talking about the away state ones with letters on the cubes ... I am straining myself trying to think of a better way to do that, especially so it looks better at the smallest size.

Doing the .ico files is taking forever!
Astra Sound Pack Developer
Registered Oct 2002
Located at FL
2,394 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 11:36 AM
Great job DiamondNRG! I like the Facebook icon ready to go.
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 11:51 AM
Thanks stev02! I should have a decent update to it done later today. Darn real life getting in the way...
Official Admin
American
Registered Jan 2002
Located at Section M5 Row 1
2,079 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 11:53 AM
They look pretty sweet !
Google-Talk
Registered Jan 2003
Located at The combined planets of trillian
1,566 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 12:10 PM
These are tight, but they look like baby toys.The recent online and offline icons remind me of those little spinner tops.Maybe you should make the icons into toy shapes.I like the letter blocks.QQ should have a white glow inside it.I think the solid colors should be more two toned so they will have more of a glow inside.IRC should be a real lite blue with a white-ish blue glow instead of gray.

For some reason the only way I can get the icon set to work is to rename it to default-services.Nice icons though!

BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 12:26 PM
You just have to use the main.dtd from my set over top of the one in the Default folder. I believe I made the modifications necessary to it, and I included a main.dtd.bak from the default version to make it easy to switch back.

I do agree they look a bit like toy blocks, I think that perception really comes from the ones with letters on them though, and I am not sure that is the absolute way I want to deal with those ones.

As far as the colors... QQ has a gray glow inside of it, but you are right it doesn't show up a lot at the small sizes, I will look into perhaps making it a bit lighter, but I do not want it to look like the offline icon even when its online.

IRC really has no reason to have a light blue tint to it, that was done way back in 2.x and was really just so we could see it on the white backgrounds. Even Kid's new 4.x version of IRC does not have any blue in it. We have toyed with the idea of including the blue anyways, and will revisit it again just to make sure we have picked the better looking of the 2 ideas.

Thanks for the great comments Brenton.

Thanks ameoba!

EDIT: Kid's new post in bugzilla about having the MetaContact icon inherit colors from the top subcontact is going to add a lot of icons for me to make, and while I am sure of how initially I want to make these changes to fit with this style, I am considering abandoning my "rainbow" MetaContact cube and using it for GoogleTalk (as it fits that very well anyways) and then using some sort of different image for the MetaContact which then of course could be layered with the block "inside it" so to speak of the top subcontact. Further feedback and opinions of this dilemma would be very helpful.
Last edited by DiamondNRG; 15 Apr 2007 at 12:30 PM..
-- Insomnautik --
Registered Dec 2006
Located at USA, California
331 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 01:07 PM
lol, the large preview image at the top is slightly old, there were some modifications to the cubes... oh well, not that big a deal. Also, if anyone has any better ideas of setting up the Away status (brb, dnd, etc) it would help as they are a bit hard to see at lower sizes.

P.S. Thanks for the comments guys!
Registered Aug 2001
Located at Over there
1,462 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 01:31 PM
Maybe you could change the orientation of the cube to indicate an away status? That would at least make it easy to distinguish at small sizes. Just a thought.
-- Insomnautik --
Registered Dec 2006
331 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 01:40 PM
An interesting idea, and I may look into it, but for now we are trying to head for a more uniformed look. So, we are trying to come up with things we could add to the cube to represent the different statuses instead of redesigning the cube image all together. Not a bad idea tho.
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 01:41 PM
We have pawned over the idea of a 2D viewpoint for the 16x16 set ... thanks for the opinion though, we will surely look into that more.
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 02:12 PM
Thumbs up
Taskbar icons are working new version coming later today ... sorry for the tons of posts, I guess I am excited about this

***** Member 354
Registered Apr 2001
Located at TARDIS
964 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 02:27 PM
[QUOTE=DiamondNRG;693216]... sorry for the tons of posts, I guess I am excited about this [QUOTE]

Don't be sorry (although try and follow forum rules about double posting). You should be very excited. This is an interesting idea that you guys are implementing. I like it alot. Keep it up.
Official Moderator
Head Designer of Trillian
Registered Feb 2001
Located at To'hajilee
7,050 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 02:36 PM
Two things:

- The IRC icon is actually a very light blue. Just very light with a tint of blue.

- You probably know that I'll start asking you to draw the mobile icon yourself.
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 02:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
Two things:

- The IRC icon is actually a very light blue. Just very light with a tint of blue.

- You probably know that I'll start asking you to draw the mobile icon yourself.
Kid - yes, quite simply a placeholder, sorry for not making that more clear, we are already working on that. Same with the icons that haven't been changed, I know I have to do those as well. I have tried the IRC thing a few times with no luck at anything decent, but I will try again.

Kid - if the taskbar icons are limited to 16x16 fixed, what are the 32x32 and 48x48 icons in the .ico files for? And what about the icons on the loading splash screen? Are those embedded in the medium plugins?
Official Moderator
Head Designer of Trillian
Registered Feb 2001
Located at To'hajilee
7,050 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 02:52 PM
The ones in the splash screen is embedded inside the plugin.

You will need the 48x48/32x32 icon for the Alt+Tab task switcher in Windows.

Yeah, I saw that you actually put the mobile phone inside one of your icons. That's why I'm saying.
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 02:56 PM
[QUOTE=tommytyker;693217][QUOTE=DiamondNRG;693216]... sorry for the tons of posts, I guess I am excited about this
Quote:

Don't be sorry (although try and follow forum rules about double posting). You should be very excited. This is an interesting idea that you guys are implementing. I like it alot. Keep it up.
Yup, fully aware of the rules just didn't know that I had the most recent post, forgot to check. And its my own fault I can't delete it, LOL

Kid - yes it is just layered over it and will be deleted as soon as we get our own phone done. Hopefully sometime today. Even if we don't I will take it out of the next set until we have our own. Thanks for the answer about the alt tab.
Registered May 2002
8,917 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 03:31 PM
great work!! wow
-- Insomnautik --
Registered Dec 2006
331 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 03:31 PM
Ok, so here is a 2D icon concept we are working on for the 16x16 size icons. Suggestions/Comments, what do ya think?
As you can see, we only have 1 icon in the 2D style so far, this is so you can compair between the the 3D cubes and the 2D cubes.

BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 04:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentonjbolton View Post
For some reason the only way I can get the icon set to work is to rename it to default-services.Nice icons though!
Brenton...

I just realized what this is ... you are using Cordonata right? Kid has it set so you cant use custom iconsets with it. You have to change that in the skin files from a customicons=0 to a 1.

Sorry I didn't think of what the problem was sooner.
Sith Lord
Registered Oct 2003
Located at Chicago, IL
571 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 04:52 PM
Neat icons
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 05:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
The ones in the splash screen is embedded inside the plugin.

You will need the 48x48/32x32 icon for the Alt+Tab task switcher in Windows.

Yeah, I saw that you actually put the mobile phone inside one of your icons. That's why I'm saying.
Kid - what are the lower quality ones used for? lower windows color settings? Is the metacontact showing top subcontact idea a for sure? (I would rather be doing them as I do my icons then have to redo them later)
Registered Aug 2001
Located at Over there
1,462 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjOktave View Post
Ok, so here is a 2D icon concept we are working on for the 16x16 size icons. Suggestions/Comments, what do ya think?
As you can see, we only have 1 icon in the 2D style so far, this is so you can compair between the the 3D cubes and the 2D cubes.

I like that idea, but it looks too different from the 3D cubes to be in the same set (IMO). Maybe the 2D version could be a separate iconpack altogether.

Edit: The more I look at that 2D image, the more I like it. I'd love to see an iconpack of just that concept.
Last edited by skiingwiz; 15 Apr 2007 at 05:54 PM.. Reason: more stuff to say
Google-Talk
Registered Jan 2003
1,566 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DjOktave View Post

I still like the 3d better.Maybe you should try making the 16x16 show more of one side than the other have it rotated a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondNRG View Post
Brenton...

I just realized what this is ... you are using Cordonata right? Kid has it set so you cant use custom iconsets with it. You have to change that in the skin files from a customicons=0 to a 1.

Sorry I didn't think of what the problem was sooner.
I didnt think about that.I was having the same problem with an icon set i was working on.Thanks for the info.

BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the input guys ... I tend to agree with the 2D being too much different. I think we will revisit that idea later, a 2D set could be quite nice too. That was the original idea that actually inspired this creative bolt in the first place.
Google-Talk
Registered Jan 2003
1,566 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 06:38 PM
Heres what I come up with that I think would best suit IRC.
Attached Images

BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 07:49 PM
Ok so with all the comments, I gave the IRC another go at a blue tint ... but I still personally don't like it. I don't see why it needs it ... but everyone else disagrees.

Tell me what you think, old version on the left, new one on the right...

Google-Talk
Registered Jan 2003
1,566 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 08:38 PM
Looks good to me!

-- Insomnautik --
Registered Dec 2006
331 Posts
Old 15 Apr 2007, 09:00 PM
Alright, unless any one has any objections against using the blue tint for IRC, it seems that were going to go ahead and keep it.

P.S. My OnE HuNdReDtH PoSt!!!!!!! w0oT!!
.............. ok, sorry, I had to get that out

[edit] hope no one saw my irc/icq typo....... [/edit]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: