Go Back   Trillian Discussion Forums > Help and Support > Technical Support

Registered Nov 2007
3 Posts
Old 22 Nov 2007, 02:23 PM
Trillian How do I view XML files from saved history?
Hi,

I use Trillian Pro and am having a little trouble with the saved logs of my chat history. Now I have to admit, I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to technical-type coding stuff or whatever, but I'm wondering if there's some way of viewing the XML version of the saved history instead of just the plain text Notepad files. I'm clueless about these kinds of things, what exactly is the difference that XML makes?

Whenever I do try to view the XML file, whether in Internet Explorer or Firefox, I get this error:

Quote:
XML Parsing Error: junk after document element
Location: file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Ravenology/My%20Documents/Trillian/AIM/Channel/chatroomnamegoeshere.xml
Line Number 2, Column 1:<message type="incoming_groupMessage" time="1161982916" medium="AIM" from="UsernameCensored" location="chatroomnamegoeshere" text="%2Ais%20amused%20beynd%20reason%2E%2E%2E%20t he%20Brit%20and%20the%20Redneck%20discussing%20lif e%2C%20the%20universe%2C%20and%20everything%2A"/>
^
What exactly does this mean and how do I go about correcting the error? It seems to occur with all of my XML logs and when I tried taking out the line where it says the error is in Dreamweaver, saving the edited copy to another location so that I'm not messing with the original, I still get an error when I try to view the edited copy. The only difference is that the line identified as containing the error is the next line down.

Could someone help explain? And yes, I know I probably sound like a totally newbie here.

While I'm here, also, does anyone know if there's a way to save history logs in Trillian as HTML files, or some other format that manages to keep the formatting of the text that users send into the chat window (italics, bold text, colors, fonts, etc...) when using AIM through Trillian? Or is that what the XML file is supposed to do?

Many thanks in advance for your help,

-- Ravenology.
Registered Nov 2007
3 Posts
Old 22 Nov 2007, 02:35 PM
Ack, can't find the Edit Post button so I'll just clarify in a reply instead: The quoted text in the above post is what I get from Firefox. With Internet Explorer, the message looks like this:

Quote:
The XML page cannot be displayed
Cannot view XML input using XSL style sheet. Please correct the error and then click the Refresh button, or try again later.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Only one top level element is allowed in an XML document. Error processing resource 'file:///C:/Documents and Settings/Rave...

<message type="incoming_groupMessage" time="1161982916" medium="AIM" from="UsernameCensored" location="chatroomnamegoeshere" text="%2Ais%20amused%20beynd...
Again, I don't know anything about XSL style sheets or what they even are or how to fix the error. The technojargon doesn't make sense to me I'm afraid.

Thanks again in advance for your help.

-- R.
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 22 Nov 2007, 09:16 PM
Open the XML file in something that can actually read it, like Dreamweaver ... not a browser.
Registered Nov 2007
3 Posts
Old 25 Nov 2007, 04:47 PM
Okay... but if I open it in Dreamweaver I just get lines of text/code. Is that how it's supposed to look?

What's the reason for being able to save logs as XML files in Trillian as well as just the textfile/Notepad logs? What can you do with an XML log that you can't with plain text?
BACK FROM THE DEAD
Registered Mar 2003
27,316 Posts
Old 25 Nov 2007, 04:58 PM
the XML file allows it to be formatted nicely in the colors and fonts and such for use in the Activity History window.

The XML logs are not meant to be be opened outside of Trillian. So if you just want to read them that way, open the text log files.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: